Westhaven seawall upgrade
01 September 2023 - 01 March 2024
- In Progress
An upgrade to protect people, infrastructure and assets from coastal flooding.
As a result of adverse weather events combined with king tides causing extensive damage within Westhaven in recent years, plans are well underway to upgrade Westhaven’s northern reclamation seawall.
The Eke Panuku Westhaven Seawall Upgrade project is currently in the detailed design phase and will deliver:
- A redesigned seawall with functionality to provide wave dissipation and protection from coastal flooding
- An improved and attractive water’s edge destination, which integrates with the recent and on-going development and character of Westhaven Marina
- Design and ecological opportunities through mana whenua partnership, including increased planting
- Improvements to the interface with the surrounding environment, including enhancements for pedestrians
- Future-proofing of infrastructure and services in the vicinity.
While the project is underway, traffic management will be in place to ensure safety of work crews, pedestrians and vehicles. Traffic and pedestrian access be maintained, however, there will be lane restrictions and pedestrian detours in place at times.
Construction is estimated to begin later this year, with completion expected by early-mid 2024.