Click the pins on the map to view our projects in Henderson...
The future heart of Henderson is being reimagined as a flourishing urban eco-centre – a town centre that harnesses sustainability.
It’s a vision with respect for the past, tapping into the history and eco-friendly vibe of Auckland’s west.
Our plan to revitalise Henderson
The future heart of Henderson is being reimagined as a flourishing urban eco-centre – a town centre that harnesses sustainability. It’s a vision with respect for the past, tapping into the history and eco-friendly vibe of Auckland’s west.
Families and the environment will be our focus for developing Henderson. The revitalisation will also enhance the mauri (life essence) of the Twin Streams that meet in its centre: Wai o Panuku and Wai Horotiu.
Henderson town centre is packed with potential to increase housing, develop business space and create more jobs.
We are leading the creation of a safe, high-quality and lively mix of new homes and public spaces. We believe that a strong eco-focus and uniquely west Auckland identity will attract families, businesses, investors and visitors to this growing area. Our projects to date include:
- 23-27 Henderson Valley Road where 116 townhouses and apartments were completed in 2023, to provide additional homes for families
- 31-33 Henderson Valley Road where 40 apartments for older people were built in 2019, and managed by Haumaru Housing
- 2, 3 and 4 Henderson Valley Road, previously Auckland Council’s Henderson campus will see part of this site repurposed and redeveloped into an educational facility along with more homes for families to live close to the town centre. Auckland Council retain the Waitākere civic chambers and the Japanese Kakogawa Garden
Located in the centre of west Auckland, Henderson has many strengths that make it attractive to live there.
Public transport links are good, particularly rail. Train travel times are expected to be even better when the City Rail Link is finished.
Henderson boasts some excellent cultural, recreational and educational facilities. These include:
- Auckland Film Studios
- Corban Estate Arts Centre
- WestCity Waitakere
- Waitākere Mega Centre
- West Wave Pool and Leisure Centre
- Henderson High School.
The area also enjoys one of Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland’s best series of connected walking and cycling paths along its Twin Streams.
Our role in Henderson
We’re working with other key groups to regenerate Henderson, with our focus on nine properties owned by Auckland Council. These sites have potential to be developed, and it’s our job to make that happen.
We’ve also identified other sites and initiatives that could offer residents, workers, visitors and others a better experience of Henderson. These projects include upgrading public spaces, further improving walking and cycling links, and staging activities to make the area more vibrant. We like involving local people to help shape these elements.
A lot of our activity for Henderson is based in Auckland Council’s Waitākere ward and the Henderson-Massey Local Board area, so we’re working closely with these elected members and the communities.
We also team up with our Auckland Council family, central government and the private sector to ensure a partnership approach that best benefits Henderson.
The overall plan for Henderson
Henderson’s new future took an important step forward in 2017, when Auckland Council’s Planning Committee approved the overall plan for how the area will be revitalised over the coming years.
This Eke Panuku document is called the High-Level Project Plan, and it provides the Auckland Council mandate for us to make changes. We pinpoint key actions that need to be taken, including making better use of properties the council owns.
The plan also covers:
- The prime sites on which development will take place.
- The proposed projects to unlock development opportunities.
- The reasons behind Henderson’s growth potential, and the benefits that we anticipate for people who live, work and / or visit.
- How we’ll work both together and with the main Henderson players and communities.
High level project plan
Henderson projects and events
- In progress
- On hold
- In Progress
- Urban regeneration
- In Progress
10/08/2017 - 29/11/2019
- Undergoing Construction
01/08/2021 - 31/01/2023
- In Progress
- In Progress